How to Remove Odors from Your Maytag Dishwasher:
Is there a new plastic smell?
This is a normal smell and should dissipate with time (about 2 weeks). Try running a white vinegar rinse or using affresh® to help remove the odor.
Run a white vinegar rinse to reduce odor:
- Wash and rinse dishes. Do not use a heated dry option. Use an air-dry or an energy-saving dry option. Remove all silverware or metal items.
- Put 2 cups (500 mL) of white vinegar in a glass or dishwasher-safe measuring cup on the bottom rack.
- Run the dishwasher through a complete washing cycle using an air-dry or an energy-saving dry option. Do not use detergent. The vinegar will mix with the wash water.
- Run the dishwasher through a normal cycle with detergent after cleaning the interior.
Cleans even where you can't see
affresh® cleans deep inside your appliances reaching components such as the tub, racks, pump, valves, drain, and recirculation hoses.
Cleaners are available at many retailers or can be purchased here.
Are dishes washed only every two or three days?
Run a "Rinse and Hold" or "Rinse Only" cycle once or twice a day until you have a full load.
Is there a petroleum smell?
This is a normal smell. Some models have sound-deadening material that smells like petroleum. This is normal and should dissipate in 4-6 weeks.
Is there a varnish smell?
This is a typical motor smell. Some motor windings are treated with a varnish. This smell will wear off in approximately one month.
Is there a musty, spoiled smell?
Standing water in the dishwasher can cause this smell. Ensure the dishwasher is draining correctly, by checking the following:
- Check for any food or obstructions caught in the drain or the garbage disposer. Run the disposer to clear the obstruction
- If the dishwasher is connected to a garbage disposer, be sure the knockout plug has been removed from the disposer inlet.
- Clean the filter regularly. Cleaning the filters periodically helps keep the dishwasher working at peak performance. The filters can be found at the bottom center of your dishwasher. When to clean the filter:
- There is degradation in cleaning performance (soils still present on dishes).
- Dishes feel gritty to the touch.
- Water is left in the bottom of the dishwasher.