How to Clean the Filters on Your Maytag Dishwasher
Cleaning the filters periodically helps keep the dishwasher working at peak performance. The filters can be found at the bottom center of your dishwasher.
The triple filter system consists of 2 parts: an upper filter assembly and a lower filter.
- The upper filter assembly keeps oversized items and foreign objects, along with very fine food particles, out of the pump.
- The lower filter keeps food from being recirculated onto your dishes.
The filters may need to be cleaned when:
- Visible objects or soils are on the Upper Filter Assembly.
- There is degradation in cleaning performance (soils still present on dishes).
- Dishes feel gritty to the touch.
To remove the dishwasher filter:
- Turn the Upper Filter Assembly ¼ turn counterclockwise and lift out.
- Grasp the Lower Filter in the circular opening, lift slightly, and pull forward to remove.
To clean the filter:
IMPORTANT: Do not use a wire brush, scouring pad, etc., as they may damage the filters.
Rinse filter under running water until most soils are removed. If you have hard-to-remove soils or calcium deposits from hard water, a soft brush may be required.
To Reinstall the filter:
- Noting the previous illustrations, place the Lower Filter under the Locating Tabs at the bottom of the dishwasher, so the round opening for the Upper Filter Assembly lines up with the circular opening in the bottom of the tub.
- Insert the Upper Filter Assembly into the circular opening in the Lower Filter.
- Slowly rotate the filter clockwise until it drops into place. Continue to rotate until the filter is locked into place. If the filter is not fully seated (still turns freely), continue to turn the filter clockwise until it drops and locks into place.
NOTE: The Upper Filter Assembly arrow does not have to align with the arrow in the Lower Filter as long as the filter is locked.
IMPORTANT: To avoid damage to the dishwasher, do not operate your dishwasher without the filters properly installed. Be sure the Lower Filter is securely in place, and the Upper Filter Assembly is locked into place. If the Upper Filter Assembly turns freely, it is not locked into place.