How to Prevent Food from Freezing in your Maytag Refrigerator
Are the controls set correctly?
The best temperature for food storage is 38° F to 40° F in the refrigerator section and 0° F to 2° F in the freezer section. If food in the refrigerator section is freezing, it may be necessary to adjust both the refrigerator and the freezer controls. Begin adjustment with the freezer control, one temperature level at a time. Allow 8 hours for temperature adjustment before setting the control to the next level. Refer to your Use and Care Guide for further temperature adjustment instructions.
Are the air vents blocked?
In order to ensure proper temperature, you need to allow room for proper air flow between the freezer and refrigerator compartments. Cool air enters and exits the refrigerator compartment from the freezer compartment through vents. Depending on your model, these vents are in different locations. In the refrigerator compartment, items placed directly in the path of the freezer air flow may freeze
- Locate the vents in both the freezer and refrigerator compartments and ensure that there is nothing blocking the air flow.
- If vents are blocked, airflow will decrease. Temperature and moisture issues may arise due to blocked vents.
- Items placed directly in the air flow from the freezer compartment to the refrigerator compartment may freeze. Do not place temperature sensitive items, such as eggs and liquids, in these areas.
Is the ice maker turned on?
Verify that the ice maker is turned on. If the water supply is not connected to water supply line turn the ice maker off.
If the ice maker remains on and not connected to water supply the following could potentially happen:
- The ice maker will continue to try to make ice, causing a buzzing sound
- The refrigerator section to may be too cold
- Freezer section may be too cold
- The food in the crisper drawers may freeze
CLICK HERE for more information on how to turn the ice maker on
Blocked vents could cause the following issues:
- Moisture build-up; or excessive frost
- Temperature issues; inconsistent or fluctuating temperatures
CLICK HERE for additional information