Was the door just opened?
When the door is opened cold air flows out, of the freezer, and warm humid air flows in. When the door is closed, the warm air mixing with the cold air creates a vacuum, causing the doors to be harder to re-open. Allow the internal pressure to equalize before re-opening the door, this should take less than a 1 minute. This is part of normal operation and is more likely to occur during the warmer humid times of the year.
Are the gaskets dirty?
The gaskets need to be cleaned in order for the lid or door to open and close properly. Dirt and other particles can build up on the gasket surface and can cause resistance. Check the lid gasket regularly to ensure it is clean and free from food particles.
How to Clean the Gaskets
- Wash the gaskets with a clean sponge or soft cloth and mild detergent, in warm water.
- Rinse well and wipe dry with a clean, soft cloth
- Rub a thin coat of paraffin wax on the gasket following cleaning
Is the freezer level?
It is important to ensure the freezer is level to allow the door to open and close properly. A properly leveled freezer will also help with overall proper operation. Please refer to your Owner's Manual or Installation Instructions for specific leveling information for your freezer.
In addition to your Owner's Manual and Installation Instructions, here are some other tips for leveling the freezer:
- Use a level to make sure the freezer is level from side to side and front to back.
- Check to make sure the floor under the freezer is also level. If the floor is not level shims may need to be used.
Still need help? Contact us or schedule service.
Please contact us or click below to make an appointment from our preferred list of service providers for service on your appliances.