Does the oven need to be calibrated?
Preform this test to decide if your range or oven is baking at the correct temperature.
- 1 can of refrigerated biscuits - 8 biscuits per can
- A shiny aluminum cookie sheet with low sides ( maximum 1/2 inch ) is recommended
Important: Oven bottom liners and aluminum foil must not be used on the oven floor or any of the racks. Remove before proceeding with the bake test.
- Place biscuits evenly 1 to 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Place oven rack in the middle position of the oven so the biscuits will be located in the middle of the oven - position will vary depending on model number.
- Allow a minimum of 2" clearance between the cookie sheet and walls of the oven on all sides.
- If using a shiny aluminum cookie sheet, set oven temperature recommended on package of biscuits. If using a dark or non-stick cookie sheet, set oven temperature 25°F lower than temperature recommended on package of biscuits, i.e. recommended temperature is 350°F, set oven temperature at 325°F.
- Do not preheat the oven at a higher temperature than the temperature the biscuits should be baked.
- Allow the oven to preheat completely, until the tone sounds and the indicator shows the oven has reached the set temperature. If your oven does not have a preheat indicator, preheat oven for 12 minutes.
- Quickly place biscuits in oven.
- Do not open the oven door to check the biscuits until the minimum time stated on the package.
- Quickly check the biscuits for doneness at the minimum baking time. If the biscuits are not brown enough, leave them in the oven until the maximum baking time on the package.
- Remove biscuits from the oven.
Checking the results:
- The oven is calibrated correctly if the biscuits are done and evenly browned within the time range on the package.
- The oven may need to be calibrated to better fit your expectations if the biscuits are not done and evenly browned within the time range on the package.
Calibrating Oven Temperature (Select Models Only):
Please see the oven calibration section in your Use and Care Guide for specific instructions on how to calibrate your oven.
If you would like to download or view product literature for your appliance, please visit our Manuals and Literature page.
CLICK HERE for a video on oven calibration.